President and Sister Dunn

Monday, August 11, 2014

Womens Day In South Africa

August 9, 2014 celebrated Women's Day in South Africa.  I was asked to participate in a Women's Conference in the Benoni Stake.  It was fun for me to be with 100's of women from the stake for an entire morning. Driving there was also a good exercise in my independence. I went by myself and the stake center was almost an hour away in an area I had not been before.  Driving there I kept seeing signs for church's but at last I found the one I was looking for!

I was amazed at the sights I kept seeing as I got off the Interstate. A township greeted me first and then a cow was in my way as I entered into the church parking lot. However, the church was newly built and a beautiful chapel and building.
Beautiful women greeted us as we came.  There were women from all walks of life.  The theme was waling in each others shoes!  This quote was also used on the program.
    


Sister Shamiso Makasi was an excellent speaker. She is the wife of Elder Makasi, a new area seventy in the Church. She has these three beautiful children, she is working on her PhD and has held many important titles, but none more important she says, than being a wife, mother and sister in the gospel. They are from Zimbabwe and have just moved to South Africa to fulfill this new church assignment.  I loved the chance to meet her and hear her words of wisdom and humor.


I was so lucky to literally rub shoulders with great women. Here I am with the main conference organizer, Sister Sandie Taylor and also the keynote speaker, Sister Susan Shupe. Presently Sister Shupe is serving her second couples mission and she and her husband were mission presidents in Albania in the past. She is a wonderful speaker and has taught seminary for over 18 years and been a beloved presenter at EFY and BYU Women's Conference in the past.

Add caption

All the speakers and presenters at a lunch afterwards. I was honored to be part of this group of great women.
L-R, Sister Thandeka Masiko, Sandie Taylor, Susan Shupe, Amanda Holmes (Stake Relief Society President), Nomfundo Radebe, Linda Dunn and Shamiso Makasi
 
Sister Marjorie Hinckley said: “Oh, how we need each other. Those of us who are old need you who are young. And, hopefully, you who are young need some of us who are old. It is a sociological fact that women need women. We need deep and satisfying and loyal friendships with each other.” 

I need other women!  As friends, confidants, mentors, intuitive friends who understand without words. Those who allow me to give when I need to and teach me to receive with graciousness. 
 

2 comments:

  1. I adore this! I wish I had been there to hear you speak. So many darling ladies! Way to go driving an hour away on the left side of the road to a new place! You're amazing and you look beautiful. Miss my mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The purpose of celebrating International Women’s day is to celebrate women’s achievements, raise awareness about women’s rights, dignity, and equality. We have compiled a list of virtual women's day celebration ideas, to make your women's day office celebration memorable.

    ReplyDelete