President and Sister Dunn

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A SISTER missionary writes a letter home


I want to share a wonderful missionary letter I received this week from a sister missionary that is from South Africa, but serving in Kirtland, Ohio. Her name is Jaydeen deKock (pictured above right) and her letter inspired me.  I am meeting so many new friends here in South Africa and her parents, Andy and Charnell,  were some of the first and their friendship will not end when we leave.

More formally, President Andrew DeKock has helped us navigate South Africa through his long term involvement here in the church and the countries history. As Stake President of the Johannesburg Stake, he and Charnell have helped us feel so welcome and been so friendly towards us.

They have also been so good to our missionaries. They understand missionaries, as they have 2 of their 4 children serving right now.
I was lucky enough to get on the distribution list for their daughter, Jade..... and so I read her latest e-mail and thought ..........I am going to post this one!

We don't have SISTERS in our mission, and yet our Elders are exuberant and enthusiastic.  But, I must admit from having two boys and a daughter, girls tend to give you more information and share more feelings of their heart.  But, boys learn this skill and start to realize that moms and wives like more feelings, more information, more talking!!

It was good timing to want to post a SISTER's e-mail, because I also got a call from my son and daughter-in-law announcing their are having a baby GIRL in March. Maybe this little  baby girl will one day grow up to be a sister missionary and write me a letter like this!
I hope so!!
Enjoy!!

Weekly e-mail from Sister Jaydeen DeKock
Monday October 21, 2014
 Kirtland, Ohio

Mondays roll around so quickly sometimes :) So here I am again :) Providing weekly epistles since may 2014 <3

I love my mission!

I love my mission because:
- My testimony of the Book of Mormon has completely changed
- I have begun to understand the Atonement in a way I didn't realize I didn't understand before but I still have just scratched the surface
-I get to bear my testimony multiple times a day and that is my favourite!
- We mow lawns and scrub stoves and clean houses and rake leaves and build a table with our ward mission leader for an investigator. ( You should see me use a saw :) haha
- We knock on doors and offer to take out peoples trash. We have countless opportunities to serve complete strangers who are all Gods children.
-I have learned that Repentance is hopeful and forgiveness is real!
- Our lives are so much bigger than ourselves.
- I get to meet people that I can't imagine my life without!!
- We get to see the gospel change lives, mine and those we teach!
- Living with the companionship of the Holy Ghost means so much more to be now than ever before. It's a power, a support and a guide that changes everything!
-It makes me really pray
-It pushes me everyday.
-My priorities have changed
- I could never doubt how real Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are
- It makes me believe in miracles
- I laugh so much every day,especially while trying to sing hymns with Rosie.
- daily we are on the receiving end of the kindness of other people and we get to see just how good and kind the world is!
- darkness is blocked and feeling separated from the things of the world truly makes everything feel clear and makes you feel alive.
-I have had and continue to have the best companions whom I love so much!
- I have been in more musical numbers on my mission then I have my whole life :)
- Your greatest joy comes from other peoples joy and your greatest sadness comes from other peoples sadness
-Sharing this gospel is fun! Its exciting!
-Its the reason getting up at 6 knowing its cold and going to run outside isn't as bad as it sounds
-I now cannot imagine going to bed any later than 10.30
-It has made me appreciate everyone and everything back home so much more!
-It puts me out of my comfort zone but also makes me feel in my element
-Being in Kirtland feels like being at home! I love giving tours here and meeting incredible people <3
- It makes me see heaven and that changes things! <3
Its so hard to stop typing haha :) but ok :)


My own darling daughter is like Jade, in that she is the best and only daughter I have.  Charnell deKock and I have talked about how much we love having one special dughter that is our best friend!


Emi sets the bar high and gives me so much daily inspiration. Her mission has been different, as she did not go on an actual mission, but is changing the world in her own way. Check out her amazing inspiring blog,
http://www.welltraveledwife.com/
She and Chase are even starting a non-profit! Check it out here!!
http://www.welltraveledwife.com/2014/10/were-starting-non-profit.html

Today, she sent me this e-mail. I had to post it!
From Emi:

My studies this morning were a few missionary talks and I loved these quotes so had to share! Love you guys and so proud of what you're doing!

"Missionary work does not require the development of strategies or gimmicks. It does require faith—real faith and trust in the Lord. It also requires genuine love. The first great commandment is to 'love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. … The second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself' (Matt. 22:37, 39)."
—M. Russell Ballard, "The Essential Role of Member Missionary Work"

"Devoted disciples of Jesus Christ always have been and always will be valiant missionaries. A missionary is a follower of Christ who testifies of Him as the Redeemer and proclaims the truths of His gospel."
—David A. Bednar, "Come and See"

"Do you know how important you are? Every one of you—right now—is valuable and essential in Heavenly Father’s plan of salvation. We have a work to do. We know the truth of the restored gospel. Are we ready to defend that truth? We need to live it; we need to share it. We must stand firm in our faith and lift our voices to proclaim true doctrine."
—Neill F. Marriott, "Sharing Your Light"

No comments:

Post a Comment